Thursday, July 27, 2006

July 26 - Great Eastern Tour Day 10

Expensive chocolates: 2
Pottery pieces recovered: 4
Pottery pieces left: 2

11 a.m. - Childhood friend arrives to pick me up for a trip downtown. First, we must take a look at the shirt she brought over. Old Navy somehow made a tank with 2 different length straps. Original plan was for me to sew it, as friend's mom has no sewing skills. Upon viewing the tank, realize it is way above my skill level. Mom takes up the job. Feel really bad, hadn't meant to volunteer her for work.

11:36 a.m. - Rooting through pottery trying to find pieces made by childhood friend. Proves difficult as glaze has covered over the last name she etched on the bottoms. Pick up everything with a handle to no avail. Finally discover 2 pieces never got fired due to too much glaze on the bottom. Teacher in me marvels at how her instructor failed to tell friend to be careful of that. Suppose I can excuse the indiscretion as the person is probably an artist first and teacher second. Childhood friend, however, is not the stereotypical artist - she would have reminded her students.

12:02 p.m. - Lunch at Charlie's Frog Pond. The wallpaper is yellow with frogs stretched out in an X pattern all over. Where do you find something like that? Expect at least one frog themed item on the menu, but instead am confronted with a vast selection of omlettes and other egg oriented choices. Conversation migrates from family to Europe to curriculum to summer vacation to cardiologists and exercise. Cardiologists. 20 years of friendship and we're already discussing cardiologists. Then the conversation goes to boys, and everything is normal again.

2:o6 p.m. - One Godiva chocolate cost $1.56. Miniature mint chocolate chip covered pretzel cost $1.50. For that much money they shouldn't melt so quickly in the 90ish degree heat.

2:43 p.m. - Childhood friend and I are dressed to go swimming as little brother arrives home from first day back at work and announces he's going swimming. Great minds think alike.

5:18 p.m. - "Hooray hooray hooray! Going to see the Panda this weekend! We're going to play at the museum!" My exuberance causes not so much as a lifted eyebrow from Mom or brother. Must think of new ways to cause them to feel slightly disturbed by my behavior.

7:23 p.m. - Another night sucked in by Buffy and Law and Order. Briefly wonder if I should be concerned by my total lack of motivation to do anything but sit and stare mindlessly at the TV. Put the Hemingway in my lap in an attempt to do something that requires slightly more brain function. Another vampire goes after Buffy, and the thought is discarded.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love Buffy. Well, actually, I love Giles...but you get me...