Tuesday, July 25, 2006

July 22 - Great Eastern Tour Day 6

Miles travelled: 114.7
Turn arounds: 2
Beers: 5

9:58 a.m. - Craft time with the actress. In typical fashion, she has decided at the last possible minute to make cards for the cast, as no pre-made cards were suitable. The pieces are all cut (individualized to each person's role) so all that must be done is to arranage and glue the pieces on the cards. This winds up being slightly more difficult than it first appears. I am reminded of the many crafting projects that took place the year we all lived together. The crafts always seemed to overrun the living room, as the cards are starting to. At least I won't be around for the stress of seeing her complete the writing, with only 4.5 minutes allotted for each card. Before leaving, we discuss the possibility of the actress and boyfriend coming to Missouri. The thought keeps me smiling all the way to the car.

1:47 p.m. - Our waiter at Applebee's is high. Either that or he has some serious issues, but the newlywed roommate and I are fairly sure he's high. We are discussing this as he brings me iced tea instead of another Diet Pepsi. Definitely not helping his tip. At least her wrap showed up without chicken as ordered.

4:15 p.m. - Hanging out in the newlywed's blue living room. I find myself admiring her talent. There are canvasses in the room that she has clearly painted, as the background color matches the walls. In the dining room there is framing painted around a collection of her old art prints. Wish she lived closer and could help with the decorating at my place. Since the football boy is not answering his phone, I am unable to go to my next destination. Feel bad for imposing on the newlywed. Both of us have homework to do, and suddenly I find myself in the very familiar situation of sitting around with her doing homework, breaking to discuss the radio, ask questions about our work, and pick out her clothes for tonight's party. The football boy calls, and though I'm excited to see him after a 2 year absence, I'm almost sad to leave the comfortable scenario.

6:13 p.m. - Finally arrive at the football boy's location, after 2 turn arounds and 2 phone calls to the newlywed trying to figure out what direction the car should be pointed. Serves me right for trusting a boy to give me directions, especially vague ones. Endure a chunk of stereotypical jabs at my profession from the football player and his cop brother before we arrive at the party. Wonder if the party will consist more of former Screwballs that I know, or the host's high school friends whom I don't. Get lucky, and find myself surrounded mainly by people from the flag football days. Despite my prolonged absence from Screwball events, I avoid the perfunctory "so what have you been doing lately?" conversations. The scenery, complete with beer pong and Santa hats, is far more interesting.

10:17 p.m. - The girls are hungry and decide it is time for burgers. Halfway through the process the boys realize girls are running the grill and decide this isn't kosher. What is it with boys and grills? Either way, cheeseburgers and blackened hot dogs come out of the deal, and it is good. All present were in need of some food.

2:41 a.m. - Drunkenly text several friends over a potential party moment of poor judgement. Text messaging may be the drunk world's worst invention.

4:03 a.m. - Crash on the couch at football boy's place. Actually, it is the home of 2 other Screwballs who got married 2 years ago. Football boy has been living with them (earning him the nickname "Dupree') and is now being kicked out as we all learned today they are expecting a baby. Try not to think about how soon the alarm will be going off.

No comments: