Tuesday, July 25, 2006

July 21 - Great Eastern Tour Day 5

Miles travelled: 350.4
CDs: 6
Goodbyes: 6
Hellos: 2

9:06 a.m. - Startled by Mom's car honking as it turns into the driveway. The family left an hour ago for New York, so there is momentary panic before remembering they went to Grandma's before leaving. Little brother has missplaced his cell phone. Since he's been using it to text the girlfriend all week, it of course must be found. Crisis is resolved quickly, and they're back on the road, as I should be.

11:11 a.m. - Finally arrive at Grandma's apartment after completing the packing for the weekend. Having 2 bags for the trip is useful - it keeps the giant suitcase from being lugged in and out of various apartments, but it makes the transfer of stuff an involved process. With that behind me, I'm on to my next mission of the morning: talking Grandma into coming to NY for Christmas. Surprisingly, this is a much easier process than I had anticipated. Once Grandma has learned that the aunt and uncle are intending to go, she is gladly willing to travel with them. Amazed at her easy agreement, and somewhat irritated that we never did this sooner, I choose to ignore the stipulation "if I feel up to it." We'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

12:00 p.m. - On the road again. Kent here I come.

4:47 p.m. - Arrive at Eagle's Landing apartments, which was Eagle's Point during my Kent days. Wish I had driven by the house on Vine, but there is a time crunch as my friend the actress must soon leave for the theater. While catching up on life with the 5' 2" spitfire, her roommate enters and we are introduced.
"Roommate, this is S, my old roommate, good friend, inspiration, and support. I call her N, or the nun."
The nun. Hadn't even thought about that nickname in years. It still rubs the wrong way just a little, though I know it is meant as a teasing term of affection. Feel chagrinned by the remembrance of my "role" among the college friends. At the same time it is a comfort to be with someone who knows me well enough to think to call me such a name.

7:59 p.m. - Run into the theater 1 minute to curtain. Make mental note to kill the actress for her crappy directions. Ignoring the welcoming speech, I have just enough time to read the bios of the actress and her boyfriend before the show starts.

8:40 p.m. - Grab a pretzel and cookie after act 1 (cookie is phenomenal as recommended).

9:25 p.m. - Run to the car for a sweater after act 2 (living out of your car has its benefits). Enjoying the show, but looking forward to its end so I can spend time with the friends.

10:06 p.m. - Bawl my eyes through act 3, as the actress' character dies and delivers the most moving performance I've ever witnessed from her. Try to dry my eyes in the restroom before meeting the friends. Hope in the dark they won't see how red my eyes are. The boyfriend finds me first and we envelope each other in a hug. Congratulate the actress, yell at her for making me cry. Get introduced to half the cast by first and last name, but thankfully she refrains from adding 'the nun.'

11:18 p.m. - Sharing stories, food, and the world's largest margarita at T.G.I. Friday's. We comment on the bad old school music playing. I am reprimanded in a shocked tone for the lack of a male in my life, and brief plans are made to create a blog advertising my amazing qualities. The lives of former rommates are analyzed, and plans to visit are briefly discussed. God how I have missed these people.

No comments: