Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Thunderstorm

Lots of thoughts rattling around right now, but I just feel like writing, so here is the second draft of a piece I started in class today (I love writing with my kids!):

I awoke from a deep sleep, unsure of what time it was or even what day it was. A loud rumble of thunder brought me to my senses. The bedroom shook around me. Picture frames rattled on the walls. I rolled over to the other side of the bed to look at my alarm clock. 3:22 a.m. - just a few more hours until I had to get up and start my day. I should really be asleep. But the storm was drawing me in.

Outside, the rain pelted down on the pavement, the trees, the porch. A bright flash of lighning exploded through the room. I froze, eagerly anticipating the thunder that was to follow. Mere seconds later my excitement was gratifed with thunder so strong I thought it must be on top of me. Sleep; I should be asleep. No way of sleeping now. How could I sleep through something so cool? Briefly I contemplate getting up to watch the storm from my window, but I know from previous attempts that the bedroom window isn' the best for storm watching. Just listening will have to suffice, unless of course the storm gets more intense. I get cozy in bed, as the storm rumbles around me. Closing my eyes, the steady, soothing lull of pouring rain sings me to sleep.


Clearly unfinished. Feedback is appreciated!

No comments: